Honors students complete special academic requirements to earn their degrees “with honors.” Students participate in just-for-honors-students courses and experiences; pursue rigorous work in their program of study; and complete an honors thesis. Learn more about the academic requirements for honors students at the Barrett, The Honors College website.
Beginning the honors thesis
Completing an honors thesis is a culminating experience for all Barrett, The Honors College students. Learn more about the thesis project on the Thesis Resource Page, and follow these steps:
- Attend a live or self-paced thesis workshop.
- Consult the thesis guidebook.
- Connect with your Cronkite Faculty Honors Adviser (FHA); locate your assigned adviser in the list below. Your FHA will help you identify a thesis or creative project topic and suggest faculty members who could serve as your thesis director and committee members.
- After meeting with your FHA, develop your idea into a prospectus—a document that spells out what you propose to do in your thesis project, and a timeline for doing it.
- Honors students pursuing the thesis must enroll in MCO 492 – Honors Directed Study (during their research semester) and MCO 493 – Honors Thesis (during the semester in which students will complete and defend their thesis); the courses are sequential and may not be taken concurrently. To enroll in MCO 492, complete the Cronkite Honors Registration Form below, collect the signatures from your FHA and thesis director, and submit it to your academic adviser.
Cronkite Honors Registration Form
- Complete your thesis according to Barrett guidelines, the timeline you’ve agreed upon with your thesis director, and the academic calendar. Check in with your director, FHA or the Cronkite School’s honors faculty lead with questions.
Cronkite Faculty Honors Advisers
Students are assigned to a Faculty Honors Adviser (FHA) according to their last name. Please find your assigned FHA below and contact the faculty honors lead with questions.
Faculty honors lead: Dr. Dennis Russell, Dennis.Russell@asu.edu
Last names A-C: Bill Hill, William.J.Hill@asu.edu
Last names D-H: Venita Hawthorne James, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last names I-J: Dr. Dennis Russell, Dennis.Russell@asu.edu
Last names L-M: Mark Hass, Mark.Hass@asu.edu
Last names N-T: Elizabeth Mays, email@example.com
Last names S-Z: Shemar Woods, firstname.lastname@example.org