The Shaufler Prize 2022
The Shaufler Prize in Journalism is the premier contest that recognizes the best journalism in the country advancing the understanding of issues related to underserved people in society, such as communities of color, immigrants and LGBTQ+.
Ed Shaufler, who died in late 2020, cared deeply about promoting understanding of underrepresented people. Paul B. Anderson, principal and CEO of Workhouse Media, established the prize with the Cronkite School to honor his late friend. “Ed was a great observer of human behavior, both individually and in groups,” says Anderson. “He and I spent years just talking about journalism and stories and society. Ed loved that intellectual engagement around journalism, and I thought we should put his name to something that may have immediate and lasting impact for a journalist.”
Students entering the competition must be enrolled in an accredited journalism program at the time the entry was published or broadcast.
Any working professional.
- Broadcast and video entries are limited to 10 minutes or less.
- Audio features are limited to 10 minutes and podcasts to 30 minutes.
- Print and online entries are limited to a single story or story package (a main story with sidebars of shorter length or a series of no more than four related stories).
- Entries may represent the work of one person or multiple individuals.
Entries will be judged by journalism professionals and educators. Judges will consider how well submissions:
- Provide in-depth coverage of the issues affecting communities of color, immigrants or LGBTQ+.
- Go beyond the ordinary in conveying the challenges experienced by underserved communities.
- Tell stories that capture human experiences and build understanding among diverse people and communities.
- Explore and illuminate key public policy, legal, social, cultural or political issues regarding the treatment of underrepresented communities and individuals.
Cash awardProfessional media category
First place: $10,000
Second place: $3,000
Third place: $2,000
Winner receives $5,000
Submit your entryEntry fee: FREE!
Entry Deadline: Dec. 3 2022, by 5 p.m. PT.
To enter, fill out the entry form and upload entries to: https://cronkite.submittable.com/submit/235857/shaufler-prize-in-journalism-2022.
Setting up a Submittable account is required; create one or login into your existing Submittable account.